Saturday, January 3, 2015

Book Review: Before the Clock Strikes Thirty by Aubrey Mace

Title: Before the Clock Strikes Thirty
Author: Aubrey Mace
Enjoyment Rating: ***
Source: Digital Copy
Content Alert: a clean read

When Shannon is ten, a gypsy reads her fortune-- before she turns thirty she will marry a man who she meets at a wedding. Shannon becomes somewhat obsessed with weddings, and when she's a BYU student, she reconnects with Nathan, who embarrassed her at a wedding many years ago (he doesn't remember this happening, and she doesn't remind him). But Nathan's not so bad this time around. In fact, they become BFFs, and he makes it his mission to take Shannon to as many weddings as possible so she can find her one true love. Of course, he's right in front of her the whole time.

This story is cute, if predictable (is it even a legitimate criticism to say a romance novel is predictable-- isn't that part of the genre?). I read two BYU romances in a row, and while I think these stories definitely have their appeal, and I was a BYU bride myself, they also make me cringe a little bit. It makes me sad that Shannon is so eager to fulfill the fortune teller's promise when she's still so young. I did like the "friends before lovers" aspect of this story, and though that the story of how they met at BYU (involving fainting and lots of pizza) was pretty charming.

No comments: