Thursday, April 10, 2014

Book Review: Deep Cover by Traci Abrahamson (Whitney Finalist 2013)

Title: Deep Cover
Author: Traci Abramson
Enjoyment Rating: ***
Source: Digital Copy
This book would be rated: PG-13 for violence

I believe that Traci Abramson has had a finalist in the mystery/suspense category every year that I've read the Whitney finalists. And almost every year, her book has been one that has been hard for me to finish. Most of the books were from the Saint Squad series (about Mormon Navy Seals), and I was happy to see that Deep Cover would be a departure from the series. Kelsey Weber returns to her home in Virginia after being pulled out of an assignment where she spent several years working undercover as a governess in the home of a Muslim extremist in the Middle East. She finds that her parents are on a mission, her family believes that she has pulled away from them and the gospel for selfish reasons (she can't divulge the nature of her work), and she's being pursued/protected by Noah, a handsome FBI agent who her parents befriended while she was gone.

Pretty soon, Kelsey and Noah end up on the same interagency task force to thwart a terrorist attack, and (surprise, surprise) the feelings they've started to develop for each other get complicated when Noah realizes that Kelsey hasn't been forthcoming about the nature of her work with him or her family. And then the nature of their work itself starts to drive the narrative. I'm happy to say that Abramson's writing has come a long way since I started reading her work four years ago. While her secondary characters are still relatively undifferentiated, both Kelsey and Noah are rounded and complicated, and the book deals with interesting Mormon cultural issues in addition to the main plot surrounding the terrorist plot. I will say that I absolutely hated the last chapter, from a feminist POV, but overall, I am delighted to say that Deep Cover was an Abramson book I enjoyed.


No comments: